Friday, December 4, 2009

Yes, I Weighed 330 lbs. in 2003 ...


See the chick in the gold dress? That's me! YEP! Seven years ago at 330 lbs, one week before I had gastric bypass surgery. I was co-starring in a wonderful, little one-act play called "Adventures In Therapy". Two of my Facebook Friends (who are now happily married) are pictured on the right ... it was a blast!

That chick was in a lot of pain both physically and emotionally!

I was suffering from severe depression, Type II Diabetes and had already beaten Stage T3B breast cancer. I needed to do something to get rid of the diabetes and try to reduce my chances of a secondary cancer. Getting my weight under control was vital. My quality of life sucked. Although I had a good job, I lived an isolated life. I was unable to fit into regular movie house seats. I couldn't walk for long without needing to catch my breath. My knees were going out and I had severe lower back pain. Surgery was a difficult choice, but I took drastic measures for drastic times.

I've successfully maintained my weight loss. I've vacillated up and down, learning how to live in a skinny, healthy body. I learned how to exercise. I learned how to cook. I also learned that I could overcome anything that I set my mind to. I got therapy and I joined classes to help me understand how my life had gotten so out of control. And, in the process of all of this, I began to get to know my true, Spiritual self. My faith grew by leaps & bounds. As it turned out ... obesity helped me get closer to God.

So, why do I believe that I've already won my battle with ovarian cancer? Knowing that I'm already cancer free? Because I've already proven the power of my will to THRIVE! I've already made the hard choices and followed through to get, and maintain, the best results. I knew the outcome before the surgery even happened ... I would be healthy! And So It Remains.

Today I continue to practice everything that I've learned in the past 10 years. Revisiting the teachings of the Masters I've been so privileged to study with; The Holmes Institute, Dr. Roger Teel (http://www.milehichurch.org/), Greg Braden, James Arthur Ray, Dr. Marjorie Straum, Rev. Ras Smith, Dr. Masuro Emoto, Rev. Barry Ebert, and many more. I have a daily practice of gratitude. I read, each day, from books that remind me that I'm a Divine work in progress! I feed my soul with positive people. I create art. I cook good food. I also hug everyone I can!

It's true you know!?! ... God really doesn't give us more than we can handle! And So It Is ...

Thanks for being on this journey with me ...
Blessings on you this fine day!
Colista

.

No comments: