Friday, January 8, 2010

Chemo Hair Loss Experience

My brother, Thom, said that my hair loss is PROOF that the chemotherapy is doing it's job. The healing drugs are eliminating all of the fast growing cells! In my opinion the elimination of those cells is occurring to make room, in the future, for healthier tissues to arrive! And so it is!

Last night the memory returned of experiencing this process 10 years ago. It's very uncomfortable. My scalp feels like there are sores all over it. Touching my head causes a burning feeling and releases more hair. It wasn't even pleasant to take a shower this morning because washing caused more pain than relief.

So, what happens next? Well, I decided that this time (the very last time - amen) I'm going to let the hair fall out for a while. During my breast cancer chemo, the first morning I washed my hair and hunks of it ended up between my fingers ... I immediately drove to the wig maker and had her sheer off the rest. Today, I've decided to let it progress for a while. There are two reasons. First, I "feel" that I must see this happen this time and not try to avoid it. The second reason, the more that falls out naturally ... the less I'll have to remove with duct tape! Yes, duct tape. You see, you have to get the roots out of the scalp so that when the new hair comes back there isn't a dead root blocking it's growth. So, every other day or so you duct tape your head to remove more and more of the dead roots.  Pretty image isn't it?

One of the most fun thing is that my brother asked me if I wanted him to shave his head in solidarity. We talked for a while, because my initial reaction was, "No, that's not something that I'd see anybody doing on my behalf." As he told me that he'd always wanted a good reason to try being bald (which I know to be absolutely true)... I made him a deal. He can go bald when I can visit Denver. Then, the first time he has to sing bald at church ... I get see him explain to the congregation that it's because of my going through my healing chemo treatments. We had one of the biggest laughs about how this is going to look to everyone! It will be so much fun and, I'm sure, very emotional.

Writing about this makes me cry ... I love him so much! My brother is one of the finest people ever to walk foot on this planet. His ability to center himself, care for his energy, and yet care for his wife, daughters and healing sister is almost miraculous. I admire how he seeks out people who can support him. It isn't easy feeling helpless in the face of my cancer diagnosis.

This isn't easy for any of my family or friends. There isn't anything that can really be "done" on my behalf. There is only talking, loving and prayer. But, what no one understands, is that's plenty!!! It's enough that people continue to reach out to me to talk and tell me that they love me. To that end, I can't tell you how much I love my Facebook and Twitter friends! Social media wasn't around ten years ago to keep me company when I had to take immune precautions. Today, I may have to avoid crowds ... but it's always beautifully "crowded" on FB & the Twitverse!!!  I am so grateful and blessed by you all :)

Keep warm and know that I pray for everyone's health and peace!!
Blessings!

Colista

P.S. Thanks to the Mile Hi Church Choir members for purchasing stuff from my www.Zazzle.com/Colista art site! This and my jewelry are my only jobs right now and I can't thank you enough for your support! I'll be posting more designs each week and would appreciate your telling everyone about my stuff. Even if they don't purchase anything ... perhaps they will be inspired by the energy of the art ;)
x

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I feel like I'm there with you. I hope you know that so many of us are feeling that we're there with you.